Purposes of residence
The right of permanent residence is based on the residence purposes specified in the Residence Act:
- occupational (for self-employed persons and non self-employed workers)
- family reasons
As well as the above, there are also special rights of residence, e.g. the right to return and residence titles for former Germans.
Note: In exceptional circumstances, a residence permit can also be issued for a purpose of residence not specified in law.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 06.11.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.
To the procedures and services
- Applying for a residence permit for employment purposes
- Applying for benefits under the German Asylum Seeker Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz)
- Extending a residence permit issued for training purposes
- Integration courses for foreigners
- Research facility - Recognition by the BAMF
- Residence permit for educational purposes - application
- Residence permit for employment purposes for tolerated persons who are qualified - application
- Residence permit for highly qualified job seekers - application
- Residence permit for self-employment - application
- Settlement permit
- Subsequent entry of family members (Germans) - Residence permit application
- Subsequent entry of family members (other relatives) - applying for a residence permit
- Subsequent entry of family members (to foreign nationals) - applying for a residence permit